© 2017 Richards Center for the Arts 

Website created and managed by Javier Sanchez 

JSanchez@psusd.us

Tel: 760-778-0407 | Palm Springs High School

Palm Springs Unified School District

Palm Springs - Keely Smith
00:00 / 00:00
OUR HISTORIC FACILITY

This historic stage has hosted music superstars like Arthur Rubenstein and Van Cliburn, Shakespearean actor Dame May Anderson, and political luminaries Eleanor Roosevelt and President Gerald Ford.  The Los Angeles Philharmonic has played annual symphony series here.  Frank Sinatra and Barry Manilow brought their medley of contemporary songs.

 

Palm Springs High School Auditorium showcased such eminent talent when it was the only stage in the Coachella Valley, before the McCallum or Annenberg theaters even existed.  And the stage also served as training ground for generations of young desert students of performing arts.

It was an original venue for Palm Springs International Film Festival in 1988. With 1,100 seats the theater could accommodate any production

But what it did best was serve children, hosting band concerts, choir recitals, school drama clubs and annual community productions such as "The Nutcracker."

Before the present Spanish Revival-style high school opened in 1938 (without the costly auditorium), local students had been bussed to Banning for high school.The initial enrollment of 120 students quickly rose to 500 in 1954 and has ballooned to 23,581 today.

 

The auditorium, a then state-of-the-art facility designed by eminent local architect E. Stewart Williams, was added in 1958.   But with no improvements since, it was time to come out of the wings and update that ‘state-of-the-art.’

Before the present Spanish Revival-style high school opened in 1938 (without the costly auditorium), local students had been bussed to Banning for high school.The initial enrollment of 120 students quickly rose to 500 in 1954 and has ballooned to 23,581 today.

 

The auditorium, a then state-of-the-art facility designed by eminent local architect E. Stewart Williams, was added in 1958.   But with no improvements since, it was time to come out of the wings and update that ‘state-of-the-art.’

Project funding came from a 2008 public bond measure, appropriating $16 million for building and facilities.

The Foundation, under the directorship of Ellen Goodman, is launching a $5 million endowment campaign based on a $2 million lead gift from longtime local philanthropist Rozene Supple.

 

The Foundation offers a slate of naming, sponsorship and underwriting opportunities for this community project.  Click HERE for more details.